Linoleum is a material made from organic ingredients that are commonly used to cover the floor. Instead of using hardwood and tiles for flooring, interior designers encourage homebuilders to use linoleum as a substitute.
But why should we use linoleum instead of tiles? Linoleum is comfortable and budget-friendly compared to other materials. And it is also easy to clean.
So, can you use a steam mop on linoleum floors? The simple answer is yes. Steam mops can safely clean linoleum floors when used properly.
Below we will discuss further the pros and cons of using linoleum for flooring.
Advantages Of Using Linoleum As Flooring
- Linoleum is made of long-lasting material and also includes a warranty option of 20 to 25 years depending on the seller. If you handle the linoleum floor with care, it can last you to a period of 35 to 45 years.
- Linoleum is made of renewable products that are biodegradable. This means that the material is eco-friendly and cannot damage the environment.
- Though linoleum can emit dangerous VOCs, it can only do that for a week. Other than the small amounts of the VOCs, it doesn’t spread any material after a week.
- Linoleum looks attractive, and the proper distribution of the patterns ensures that the scratch is hidden.
- Linoleum material is easy to maintain and only requires occasional cleaning. The cleaning process is easy.
Also Read: How To Keep a Vacuum Cleaner Smelling Fresh
Disadvantages Of Using Linoleum As Flooring
- The floor can easily be damaged by sharp objects such as table stands.
- Sunlight can easily damage the linoleum pigments causing the floor to fade. However, you can prevent the floor from fading if you coat it.
- Some linoleum is vulnerable to water and should not be exposed to water. However, not all linoleum material is like this, some linoleum is waterproof and can also be used in bathrooms.
Now that you already know what linoleum floors are, it is time we correctly analyze 3 Best Steam Mops for Linoleum Floors that you could be looking for.
3 Best Steam Mop For Linoleum Floors
Now that you know whether you can use Steam Cleaner On Linoleum or not, and the advantages and disadvantages of using linoleum as flooring, it is time to look into something slightly different.
This section covers 3 best steam mop for linoleum you can trust.
The first thing you appreciate about the steam mop is that it consists of fragrance discs that leave that the room fresh after cleaning. It also consists of a low-profile head that ensures all the edges and corners are clean. Click here to see the price on Amazon.
Though the steamer consists of a 23-foot power cord, it is easy to steer and can be used in 30 seconds. The steamer is also customized to clean floors without harsh chemicals. With soft chemicals, the machine can easily eliminate 99.9% of bacteria with the power of steam.
The Bissel steam mop is also customized to the needs of the user. The user can choose from low, medium to high steam based on the cleaning needs. All this can be done by a simple control system. In addition, the steamer comprises a soft pad, a scrubby pad and a carpet glider that can be easily adjusted to suit the needs of the user.
It also consists of a 16-ounce water tank that can get you through the cleaning of the entire house. You don’t need to refill the tank after every few minutes.
The Bissell power mop can also easily stand on its own and doesn’t require to lean on something. This way, the steam mops rarely fall, this protects them from breaking into pieces or parts.
- Easy to steer.
- Low–profile head that can access all corners.
- Easy to adjust.
- Leaves a fresh fragrance after cleaning.
- Customized for different types of floors.
- The electric cord is too long.
- Not durable.
The cleaner has a powerful vacuum that sucks all the pet hair from surfaces. The power rating is 1100 Watts. In addition, the vacuum cleaner comprises steam boost pads that ensure that the floor is shining. Click here to see the price on Amazon.
The pet mop vacuum also features a tank emptying system that ensures that your hands don’t get dirty during cleaning sessions. The vacuum is also made of disposable pads that can be thrown away or easily cleaned every day.
The machine is also versatile. It includes a ‘lift-off pod’ that you can detach from the handle, eventually transforming it to a handheld cleaner.
- Consists of boost pads.
- Made of easily disposable pads.
- Long electric code.
- Made of microfiber pad to dry the floor.
- The cord on the machine is also way too low .
- Doesn’t pick very tiny particles.
The shark mop system is easy to assemble and run. It doesn’t require a technician’s assistance. It also comprises several advances such as touch-free technology, steam technology and grip pads that increase the efficiency of the machine. Click here to see the price on Amazon.
The steam mop is well customized to clean as well as sanitize hard floors. The steam system delivers steam directly to the stained floor to ensure that the stains are eliminated.
The touch technology ensures that you don’t use a lot of energy while cleaning. You are only required to press a button and all the dirt is removed.
The steam technology attacks tough stains and messes and also loosens debris stuck in corners. However, this doesn’t mean that the vacuums are only used for tough stains, they can also be used to clean loose dirt. The vacuums comprise a spray pocket mop that cleans everyday spills.
This shark steam mop also features unique double-sided pads that enable you clean under surfaces and an automated release that prevents you from handling dirty and damp pads with your hands.
- Easy to use.
- Slim and flat to access corners.
- The handle is comfortable to use.
- Maneuvers adequately.
- The cord is long enough.
- Heavy to push.
- Cannot clean corners.
How To Use A Steam Mop On Linoleum
Most homeowners prefer steam mopping their linoleum floors because it doesn’t use harsh chemicals. Instead, it uses the steam produced by hot water to remove dirt and tough stains. Steam mops are also used to sanitize the floors protecting the home occupants from germs. To sanitize the floors, you are only required to heat the water to a temperature of 212 degrees F.
It is important to note that linoleum is sensitive to excess water, therefore, you need to carefully research the steam mop you are purchasing to determine how long it takes to produce steam. Some vacuums produce steam in one second while others take 15 seconds. Therefore, the longer the vacuum is held in a specific position, the more likely it is to damage the floor.
So what steps should you follow while using a steam mop?
- First, you need to select a suitable steam vacuum for your needs. For instance, if you have animals in your home make sure you select a vacuum cleaner that can easily suck pet hair. If you are cleaning corners in your home, ensure that you purchase a cleaner with a flat surface and proper shape.
- Second, remove all the loose debris and loose dust in the vacuuming area. Also, remove any furniture before you start cleaning to enable the vacuum cleaner to reach the awkward areas of the floor.
- At this stage, you can start looking for grease and food deposits. If you identify any, pour some baking soda and vinegar then wipe it with a clean cloth.
- Switch on your steam mop and adjust the temperature according to your floor need. In normal instances, the water heats to 120 degrees Celsius. However, you can easily adjust the temperature to suit your cleaning needs.
- Start cleaning the floor in a systematic manner, for example you can start from one corner of the room and finalize at the door. You are only required to add a small amount of pressure because the steam can easily cut through the grease.
- Finally, allow your floor to dry slowly. The process won’t take a lot of time since steam mops use little water. The floor will dry up in few seconds.
Nonetheless, as you clean your linoleum, it is important to take certain measures to ensure that your floor lasts longer. For instance, ensure that you have doormats to keep out bacteria and dirt, use low-impact cleaning methods that’s why a steam mop is important, and avoid drench vinyl and stick to dishwashing detergent.
That is it! Linoleum floors are easy to clean using a steam vacuum cleaner. All you are required to do, is to purchase the correct mop and follow the manufacturer’s instructions while using it. Then wait for the results.
We hope you have gained some great cleaning insights from the article. Now, go and make your linoleum floor sparkling clean!